For me, holiday meals have always centered on the sides. Forget turkey. Or roast. Even today, if I can eat the really good stuff, I am transported to a time without worry. It is easy to return with this vegan stuffing recipe using Mrs. Cubbison’s cornbread mix.
I know we’re supposed to strive for homemade, but with this box you are not compromising. Make this quick stuffing, and have time left over to make other recipes from scratch. And get tons of complements along the way.
Here are the basic instructions, with my substitutions to make it a vegan stuffing recipe.
As you may imagine, the first step in starting your side is procuring the right Mrs. Cubbison’s cornbread stuffing mix. Then follow the instructions, using vegan butter, preferably Miyoko’s European Style Cultured Vegan Butter, and vegetable broth.
Vegan Stuffing with Cornbread from Mrs. Cubbison's
- 1 box Mrs. Cubbison’s Corn Bread Stuffing
- 1 cup vegan butter or margarine (ideally Miyoko’s lightly salted)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Oil a 9”x13” casserole dish, or use a braiser as pictured.
- Ina large sauce pan or braiser melt butter on medium heat. Add vegetables andcook them in the oil until they are translucent. Then remove from heat.
- Add stuffing mix and combine with the oil and vegetable mixture.
- Then gradually add the broth, combining until evenly distributed.
- Gently even out stuffing in a brasier so that it is at least 2 inches thick or move into a casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove foil cover then bake for another 15 minutes.
- Serve right away or refrigerate overnight and reheat the next day.
I hope you enjoy your holidays with this vegan stuffing recipe. For more tips, consider our Christmas lima bean recipe.