The eat tacos, not burritos, in Texas, so it's a good thing they have Taco Deli to help satisfy their Mexican finger-food needs—breakfast, lunch and dinner. These guys even have vegetarian and vegan options, and they have a vegan salad for when you want to take a break from tortillas and also eat with a fork.
The founder's Mexico City roots season the food he serves with the social energy of his Austin headquarters. These are the kinds of places with picnic tables on large outdoor patios, where you can sit a while and eat with friends at 10 locations around Austin and Dallas.
Most restaurants in most cities will work with you on easy tweaks to an item to make it vegetarian or vegan. This recipe is the salad I ordered below based on options at Taco Deli.
It's easy to make and with their garlic-lime vinaigrette tastes fresh and crisp with romaine lettuce and taco fixings combined.
This recipe is for two servings, with the option to cut or increase based on the number of people in your party!
Vegan Salad Recipe Taco Deli
- 4 cups Romaine lettuce, largest ribs removed, torn into small pieces
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup black beans
- 4 tbs pico de gallo salsa
- hot sauce to taste
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 cob grilled corn
- 2 tbs avocado sauce
- ½ large grilled red pepper
- ½ medium tomato
- 4 tbs garlic lime vinaigrette or your favorite dressing
- Arrange the lettuce in the bottom of the bowls and the other ingredients on top. Make it look pretty. Enjoy!