Vegan Burrito Bowl Recipe
A vegan bean bowl recipe that is easy to make but is rich with flavor like meat and that offers colorful variety and options to customize with your favorite veggies. It can be pared down and simplified or piled on for a heartier flavor. It can cost pennies or much more with gourmet ingredients.
- 3 cups Fresh cooked black beans or 1 can black beans
- 2.5 cups Cooked brown rice
- 1 Avocado
- 1 ear Grilled corn, cut off the cob
- 1 cup Cubed jicama
- 2 tbsp Vegan feta cheese such as from Violife to sub for Cotija cheese
- 1 Radish, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Sliced pickled jalipeÑo or other favorite peppers to taste
- 4 tbsp Thinly slicked red onion
- 2 tbsp Pepitas grilled for 5 minutes on high in a bit of oil
- 1/4 cup Tomatoes or more to taste
- 1/2 cup Cubed sweet potato, parboiled for 10 minutes then grilled in Mexican spice seasoning for 10 minutes
- 2 tsp Mexican spice seasoning or more for flavor
- 1 tbsp Hot or mild fresh salsa, depending on preference
- 2 tbsp Cilantro
- 2 Corn tortillas (optional)
- Olive oil
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the tortillas (optional) into strips or triangles. Brush lightly with olive oil, sprinkle with salt. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
Heat the beans, mushing about a fifth of them and adding about a quarter cup of water for a rich, soupy texture.
Put rice at the bottom of two bowls. Top with beans and other ingredients. You can expand the recipe to serve a larger group. If so, consider creating a bean bar with toppings set out for people to choose and add themselves. Enjoy!